Thursday, August 16, 2012

Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers

I love this time of the year because of all of the fresh vegetables I get out of the garden and at a farmer's market. Ryan and I ventured to a farmer's market this weekend since we canceled our Green Bean Delivery because we thought we would be out of town. We picked up a nice looking zucchini while we were there and some red and green peppers. As we are attempting to eat more fresh produce and less meat every week, I decided to try Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers. I'm addicted to Pinterest and have found some great recipes on there, so this is a modification of the Orzo Stuffed Peppers recipe.

Ingredients:
2 or 3 green or red peppers sliced in half
2 cups of orzo
1 can of chicken broth
sliced zucchini
diced onion
feta cheese
1 can of diced tomatoes (I used ones seasoned with oregano and basil)

Cook the orzo in the can of chicken broth as it gives it better flavor.
While that's cooking mix together the zucchini, onion, the tomatoes and the feta cheese. 
When the orzo is done cooking, add that to the zucchini mixture. 
Put the sliced peppers in a baking dish. Fill them with the mixture. Cover with foil. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for a half hour.

These were very tasty, the only thing I would change is to blanch the peppers in a pot of boiling water before filling them.

No comments:

Post a Comment