Monday, June 25, 2012

Eggplant Parmesan and Lemony Quinoa with fresh vegetables

After not having our Green Bean Delivery order for 2 weeks, Ryan and I have almost devoured our order that just came on Friday. So tonight for dinner we decided to use the lovely eggplant we received and some bulk quinoa we ordered a few weeks ago. Here's what we came up with.

We peeled and cut the eggplant in dollar size slices and used the ones without seeds. Beat 2 eggs in a bowl. In another bowl add bread crumbs and some spices. Meanwhile heat some oil in a frying pan. Dredge the eggplant in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs to coat both sides. Fry it in the hot oil turning to cook evenly on both sides. Drain on a plate with paper towel. Since we didn't have any pasta sauce to go with it, we dipped it in a side of Thousand Island and Blue cheese dressing.

For the quinoa dish, I came across a this recipe on All Recipes.com and modified it for what I had. Instead of celery, red onion and parsley, I used white onion, some left over corn that I cut off of the cob and fresh carrots all from Green Bean Delivery as well and a few banana peppers from our garden.

I doubled the recipe and used  2 cups of quinoa in 4 cups of water. Cook to a boil on the stove and turn the heat down to medium until almost all of the water cooks out. I stirred it a bit as well so it didn't stick and added some sea salt to it. While the quinoa was cooking I diced all of the vegetables and put them in a serving bowl.

For the dressing I juiced 3 fresh lemons to get about a 1/2 cup of lemon juice since I cooked more quinoa then the recipe called for. I also mixed in some ground red pepper for some pizazz. 

Once the quinoa was done cooking, I turned off the heat and let it cool for about 5 minutes. I then added it to the vegetables and tossed it all with the lemon juice. Boy was it tasty and quite filling. The quinoa dish could have been a meal all in itself. I'll definitely be cooking with this grain again,

No comments:

Post a Comment